Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The 10.25% Solution

Are these wines (see right) worth 1% more than yesterday?

A group of us at The Day Thing have a booth at Taste of Chicago (come on Wednesday, July 2, to the Family Tent if you want to meet CP and his friends!) Since our shift ends about 3:30, I checked out a couple of my favorite Loop wine shops on my way home.

Special shoutouts to Amy; don't want to get her into trouble, but she blissfully forgot to charge me the new and improved 10.25% city sales tax on the lovely bottle of Alamos 2007 Torrontes bought at her shop even after I reminded her about the higher rate in effect today.

Unfortuantely, the Sam's Wine & Spirits computers kicked in right away with the new rate, but they were honoring a 10% off coupon that expired the day before. I guess that makes the math easy, right? $14.99 list price for this lovely Sauvignon Blanc from Marborough, $15.oo on the nose with tax (and after applying the coupon).

Note to wine store owners, if you want to just print up a bunch of 10% off coupons and leave them at the front desk of your store, I might be a little more understanding about our fair city's alleged fiscal needs!

Have you ever crossed city (or state) lines to save a few dollars on sales tax? Please comment below!

And finally, here's a picture of Todd Stroger. If you want to understand how Chicago became the highest taxed municipality, read this article.

Here's a picture of Mr. 10.25%.



I would post a picture and link to Amy, but I'm hoping it takes a few more months before she adjusts her computer!

No comments: